07 March 2006

punk rock / Puff Daddy / ANTICHRIST




MOGWAI
March 6, 2006 - New York, NY, The Avalon

Setlist:

We're No Here
Hunted By a Freak
Friend of the Night
Take Me Somewhere Nice
Yes! I Am a Long Way From Home
Travel Is Dangerous
You Don't Know Jesus
Acid Food
Folk Death 95
Killing All The Flies
Stanley Kubrick
Xmas Steps
Glasgow Mega-Snake

Encore:
Mogwai Fear Satan

Notes: Incredible show. First time seeing Mogwai. I missed the on-sale date a couple of months ago, and my friend (thanks TylerDurden) came through with an extra ticket, as the person who was supposed to go with him dislocated her shoulder (reminder: send get well / thank you card). The band opened with "We're No Here", and it was quiet possibly the loudest thing I have ever heard. Literally, no exaggeration. Could feel every beat of the dream pulsing through my body. My ears were being raped with sound. And it ruled. Why didn't I take Tyler's advice and get some earplugs?
Got a good amount of Mr. Beast material. Would have liked to here "Auto Rock", but oh well. Every song killed. After a few songs, my ears adapted to the sound. I knew it would be a long night of post-concert ear ringing, but nothing would prepare me for what was to come: "Mogwai Fear Satan". The song hits a quiet point, just two guitars very gently strumming, very quietly. Then, suddenly, every instruments hits hard, with all its force, with the amps turned all the way up, all in one tremendous burst. And there goes my left ear. I knew it right when it happened. Today, it's still ringing, and sounds muffled. I'm sure it will be better within a day or two, at least I hope.

Fuck Satan, I fear Mogwai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home